Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years!

92060 steps 55.23 KM. This past week was new years and to celebrate, I slept. I slept through all the insanely loud music outside my window. I slept through all the fireworks going off. I slept through the other missionaries waking up and celebrating. It was glorious. Also, we were teaching a girl who's 13. At the end of the lesson, I went to shake her hand but then she went in for a hug, so I threw my hands up like, "What are you doing?!?" She got really scared and said, "Am I not allowed to do that? I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I laughed a lot and it was rather hilarious. We also did a service project where we carried construction debris to a "dump" (empty lot) using wheel barrows. I forgot to put on sunscreen and I got burnt pretty good. But I've been using lots of aloe vera and sunscreen since then. It was rather fun, breaking stuff and just doing manual labor. But I'm paying the price now. Other than that, It was just a pretty normal week.

Happy new year!

-Elder Michael Carlson

[When asked "Have you had any interesting cultural experiences as a result of having a Brazilian companion?", Michael responded with the following experience]

He's been able to help with a lot of the cultural things that I should and should not say. One time, we were in a store and I wanted to get money back at the cashier, so I asked him if I could but I used the wrong word, that sounds very similar, that actually means "to steal". He responded, "You could if you wanted but you'd go to prison." We had a good laugh about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment