Saturday, September 7, 2013

Another Week, Another Surprise

So this is a bit of a short weekly letter since it hasn't actually been a week yet.

On Wednesday, we did more hosting which was really fun. It's always great to see all those new missionaries, scared and nervous and knowing they'll have a great time here. Also, when we were doing service, my companionship got to "de-junk the free bins". There are four free bins on each floor where missionaries just put in the stuff they don't want anymore. So we got to dig through a bunch of stuff. Some was gross but we got some unopened chocolate and a stuffed unicorn and some other stuff. It was quite fun. On Thursday, we did this "in-field orientation" which was this 9-hour long ordeal. It was pretty fun but I would have much rather had a normal day. It basically said: "You're here to baptize. Work hard. Work with members. Woo-hoo!!!" And it was a lot of sitting which is hard for me. Friday, we got our reassignments. After that, we got nothing done. One of my companions (the one going to Arizona) left this morning, so we had kind of a P-day for him to get his laundry done and we were able to email some. At gym, I played volleyball with my unconventional moves and had a blast. Today, everybody thought they had a P-day so they all slept in. My companion and I went to class but we were the only ones there. Our teacher was not happy. We had to go out an find everyone. About an hour later, we all gathered in the classroom and started and had a really good class. Nobody was ready for class before then, so my companion and I got some personal tutoring about Portuguese verbs (super funky). Now I'm doing laundry and I need to pack. So that's my life right now. It's crazy, but I'm happy to be living it. It may be two weeks until I can email again, I'm not completely sure how this Monday is going to work.

I love you all,

-Elder Michael Carlson
Currently: Michigan, Detroit
Eventually: Brazil, Joao Pessoa

[We're very excited for Michael to have a chance to serve in Detroit since we used to live there and he was born there. Michael's older brother who is also currently serving a full-time mission sent Michael a reply to the email above which is included below. They are both wonderful sons.]

Wow! Sounds like life is especially busy! Detroit Michigan? I did not see that one coming at all.

The in-field orientation was interesting for me as well. That's pretty much what I got out of it as well.

The whole p-day mix up sounds funny. So I hope things are going well. Glad to hear that you are happy since that's really what it's all about.

New missionaries are the best missionaries in any mission. I would say that they have more faith than anyone else. You are the foundation as well as the future of the Lord's work and consequently- His kingdom. Don't let anyone (including yourself) tell you that you are not important. You work for Jesus Christ. Can you imagine a greater boss?

I can't.

Love you brother! Keep smiling and remember it will all work out. =)

Elder Matthew Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment